In response to the memo, for innovative ways to promote Romance, Gentle Reads or Horror.
Our library will need to tackle the often misunderstood genre of Gentle-Reads. At the very least, we need a comprehensive set of bookmarks or bibliography lists with descriptive summaries. So often libraries provide only a list of authors' names. We need why, genre & themed bookmarks, that are detailed & relevant.
What would be most effective? We need an open Gentle Reads book-club that is a discussion about the genre in general. A knowledgeable librarian who understands this genre scope well should lead some discussions to start the conversation that gentle reads are not just sappy, romantic or christian oriented, though these are relevant genres too. Many great books that meet the requirements, will get overlooked by a good majority of readers who like a more easy & sentimental take on reading. Many enjoyable gentle books are single clever novels that are easy & fun to read without redundant heavy ideas.
Catchy display? Displays are important if they are done well. In my opinion, too much foofy stapling of borders & taped together construction paper monstrosities due more harm than good, especially if it looks like a child created the display, instead of an adult librarian. We need to rethink how our library approaches the promotion of fiction in any genre. Our library needs integrated programming that consistently changes weekly, monthly & seasonally. I have noticed at our library, some display tables are neglected & have existed well beyond their usefulness.
What would be most effective? We need an open Gentle Reads book-club that is a discussion about the genre in general. A knowledgeable librarian who understands this genre scope well should lead some discussions to start the conversation that gentle reads are not just sappy, romantic or christian oriented, though these are relevant genres too. Many great books that meet the requirements, will get overlooked by a good majority of readers who like a more easy & sentimental take on reading. Many enjoyable gentle books are single clever novels that are easy & fun to read without redundant heavy ideas.
Catchy display? Displays are important if they are done well. In my opinion, too much foofy stapling of borders & taped together construction paper monstrosities due more harm than good, especially if it looks like a child created the display, instead of an adult librarian. We need to rethink how our library approaches the promotion of fiction in any genre. Our library needs integrated programming that consistently changes weekly, monthly & seasonally. I have noticed at our library, some display tables are neglected & have existed well beyond their usefulness.
We need a Message Board project, every 2 weeks a new theme, post-it notes etc. A community chalkboard could also be useful if it is theme-controlled. These types of measures can lead readers to feel more invested & connected to their library culture. We need to update & upkeep programs, change signage/displays often & regularly with consistent days. How about a podcast, or a radio spot about reading? Is it in the budget? There is often an opportunity to genre-bend and wisely program for the benefit of all.



I really appreciate this idea, as I know the library in which I work would benefit from some RA for those who are interested in gentle reads. I think what is most important is acknowledging that all ages may be interested in gentle reads, and making sure that promotional materials are welcoming to all ages. For example, the majority of our patrons who prefer gentle reads are usually in the 50-80 year age range, but we have a lot of young adult women who prefer it as well. So the challenge is - making a discussion about this attractive to all ages! I think once people like a genre, they're willing to discuss it with anyone who does, but it may take some work to get those ages to meld together well.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I fully agree that "foofy" (LOVE that) displays aren't necessary :)
I really appreciate this idea, as I know the library in which I work would benefit from some RA for those who are interested in gentle reads. I think what is most important is acknowledging that all ages may be interested in gentle reads, and making sure that promotional materials are welcoming to all ages. For example, the majority of our patrons who prefer gentle reads are usually in the 50-80 year age range, but we have a lot of young adult women who prefer it as well. So the challenge is - making a discussion about this attractive to all ages! I think once people like a genre, they're willing to discuss it with anyone who does, but it may take some work to get those ages to meld together well.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I fully agree that "foofy" (LOVE that) displays aren't necessary :)
I have the post-it note idea bookmarked. I wanted to do this in January to kick-off the new year and then a billion things happened. I also wanted to use chalk-board paint in my YA booth cubicles but I got veto'ed for potential time wasted cleaning the walls every three seconds of bad words (no faith in teens! but then again...) We have a local frozen yogurt shop with a blackboard and I enjoy the doodles and individuality - it is a great snapshot of community!
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of having a theme and a place where people can share their opinions on what to read within that theme. I'm already thinking in the summer you could have, "What's your favorite poolside read?" or questions like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking a chalkboard or black dry-erase board with neon markers. That allows for "discussion" without everyone having to be there at the same time.