A Not-So-Secret Shopper in 2 Libraries, in West Central Indiana…
All Observations are a Hybrid of Experiences/Conversations with Indiana Libraries, Librarians & Individuals.
While I am very comfortable with the idea of formal interviewing for the purpose of radio, websites & newspapers; I generally find “Sub Rosa” interviewing very uncomfortable. Interviewing the Interviewer, essentially results in both parties as interviewees in the conversation; although, great understanding can result in a self-directed, knowledge-seeking mindset that is driven by a positive agenda & information ideal that will be revealed later on in the conversation.
Appraisal interviews, in this spirit, are an art unto itself, just like real-life readers’ advisory. In all my library visits, I always ended up revealing my project mid-stream; I could not keep character, in a theater type of way & for any extended time-frame. I believe that the initial questions in the early seconds & minutes of an interview can yield the most relevant appraisals on feel, appeal & positive experience. My approach only employs the covert investigative journalist for the first introductions & the very first questions; after that, I let staff or librarians know that I am studying genre fiction readers’ advisory.
“There are two elements in effective readers' advisory work: the behind-the-scenes work, sometimes called "passive strategies" (but passive only in the sense of not involving direct contact with the user), and the face·-to-face interaction of the readers' advisory interview” (Ross, 2002, p. 1/162).
I feel, for the most part, public libraries are generally sincere & effective in representing fiction reading. All libraries offer a given ratio of book clubs, reference lists & the all-important display & arrangement of genre subject areas in the stacks & in the commons. In my observation, the independent adoption of reads & resulting satisfaction will derive from the well-designed & the well-conceived passive strategy.
Face-to-face interactions have a reality that cannot either be predicted or guided by policy intent. Readers’ advisory in human conversation is special and is set apart from basic reference; it is meant for the seeking of the random reader. “Setting the stage is even more important for readers' advisory work, than for other kinds of reference” (Ross, 2002, p. 3/164).
The most important approach to advisory or reference begins in the layout of the library. If the area is not inviting/welcoming to personal conversations between librarians & user; quality advisory is a dream.The perennial quality will be defined with a library environment that has not yet over-extended their total quality usage of space. Ideal: a Library is a reliable, official & comfortable home away from home.
As I will briefly discuss later, I was referred to another librarian by a librarian. Mrs. Librarian had extensive experience in gentle reads; she echoed much of what Joyce Saricks has discussed in chapter 6. Themes such as old-fashioned & picky-ness of these readers was discussed; as well as: sure bets, guarantees & the “safe” issue of avoiding distasteful content (Saricks, 2009, p.93-111). Paraphrased…
Are there signs that mention readers’ advisory?
Both Libraries I visited had a center central entrance, dividing the library into 2 wings, children & adult.The atmosphere & organizational aesthetics of signage were well done.
Are there book-lists in any form?
One Library had a very comprehensive binder of read-a-like flyers, librarian written lists & multicolor handout bookmarks. Both libraries had advisory pages on their websites. One of the libraries’ online advisory pages were comprehensive in reach & scope.
Able to find the reference, RA, or information desk easily?
I am lucky; I have been to some public libraries that didn’t even have the common-sense signage that would describe departments & service areas. Both libraries were clear in their markings. Falling short, libraries seem to be moving away from the area-specific desks; the fiction desk is among the casualties. We have become lost in some sense. At minimum, we need public service desks for fiction, non-fiction & for general circulation reference.
Was it staffed?
Library-1 was well staffed. Library-2, (with lower budgets), had adequate & minimal staff. One afternoon, I noticed the only available reference librarian in Library-2, often left the desk unattended. This would have maybe been acceptable if less-frequent & especially if librarian would have placed a note or sign to visit circulation desk to page the ref librarian (at least, be back in 5 minutes).
I have issue with what is known as roaming reference, I find it annoying & counterproductive to both momentary quality & long-term contentment in library visitation. This idea is generally a departmental policy to be aware of seemingly lost library visitors. I understand the motive, though; I believe this practice is misguided & off-putting to anyone who wants to feel free in a library (AKA, Everyone). Any genuinely confused person will eventually end up at one of the service desks. In my mind, this practice can act as a barrier to reference – especially if the traditional desk is not staffed. Any library administration that sends a staff or a librarian to “hover” around people for the purpose of help should STOP NOW; beyond “requested reference”, only momentary genuine conversation development is acceptable in library ecology. Leave people alone until they approach, PLEASE, this is a fundamental human principle that libraries should identify as important. Roaming Ref is fine, when dialed back.
Was the staff member approachable and friendly?
They are. We know this, library people are very sincere & will often do what they can to help. I asked questions in quickness, referral happens. We do have to ask then, when would someone become discouraged? Signage such as Ask Us, Need a Book Idea?, can go a long way to motivate reticent users.
Was there an interview?
I employed a direct walk up to the desk and ask about a specific idea in books. Because I am reading sentimental & gentle reads now, I tried to ask about this, the ladies really seemed to get it; they jumped right in; a male librarian gave me a weird “Are You Serious” quip. Aside,
What did the staff member ask you?
Staff: How can I help?
Me: Looking for sentimental love stories, some people call them gentle reads, I am curious if they are for me. (I was dedicated to gentle reads, sentimental & nostalgic stories)
Staff: I’ll call, Mrs. Librarian, she reads a lot in this genre; she can give you a more full idea than me.
While we waited, the staff did a few searches that I had already done with similar results.
Mrs. Librarian used a read-a-like bibliography & went done the list writing notes about each author as we talked; she knew the genre well, her insights actually ruled out some authors on my to-read list. It wasn’t busy that day, we sort of went down a read-a-like list & Mrs. Librarian quickly summed up the jist & the appeal of each author or book. We discussed, very intuitively, what types of books we have read throughout life. Interesting to consider how age & life education changes personal approach to reading.
What resources did the librarian use?
Library-1, did not have Novelist, though had the current Genre-flecting book, nicely done read-a-likes & theme lists. The staff pointed out & used some of these sources: New York Times, Kirkus Reviews, Romantic Times Book Reviews, Bookmarks Magazine, & Library Journal
Online resources like amazon, Novelist, or Google?
Library-2 simply had much better funding, higher circulation & more staff. Subsequently, the librarian prepared bibliographies on-line were extensive. Novelist & GoodReads were highlighted.
Genre-flecting & Booklist were shown. RT Reviews online was used, I like RT.
The library’s own resources like staff made book lists or displays?
Both libraries did an adequate job with highlights & displays, the children’s areas usually do this much more effectively. Central entrance displays were what one would expect: new romance, new mysteries, new non-fiction etc.; also, Indiana authors & books with recent or upcoming movies
1 library had some integrated displays in a nice (wide enough) aisle way that divided the adult fiction from the non-fiction: fantasy, science fiction, get ready for gardening, fitness books & Geographic Coffee Table books.
Do you feel like the librarian was successful?
Yes, “In readers' advisory work, there is seldom a single right answer-there are usually many books that would suit the reader; But there are also many wrong answers, books that would not be appropriate for that particular reader” (Ross, 2002, p. 2/163). They offered relevant titles that reflected my questions & interests.
How did the transaction make you feel?
Sincerity is important, I felt understood & I felt that the staff were genuinely working for a measurable result.
Did you fell like the librarian felt it was worthwhile?
I do. Librarians are generally idealists. The library field is different than some other jobs, people in libraries are far more likely to have chosen their work. Many other jobs are chosen by pay & not so much by the theme of the job.
Did you feel condescended to or judged in any way?
No. Although, some people can be very sensitive to syntax & conversation styles; what is condescending to one person wouldn’t be noticed by another. Perceived judgment can occur in when some librarians use uncommon academic words or some other overly intellectual speak in public libraries. If someone hasn’t had the chance for continuing education or if someone has limited aptitude, this is condescending.
Did the librarian listen to and respond to you?
Yes. I have had very few negative experiences with librarians. Contrary to introvert stereotypes, most librarians are very chatty & interested in learning about their patrons. I work at a public service desk in an academic library – I can’t wait to talk to & help the next person with their matters & research.
Do you think the librarian had had any RA training?
Yes & No. RA is hard to train for in some ways, because there are many right answers. Knowing how to use, navigate the digital RA sites is important. The hard part is an understanding all writers & genres, even if the librarian has not personally read everything, which is impossible. Relying on the special reading strengths & knowledge of all staff gives us insight. The referral I received with Mrs. Librarian for a talk about general reads was an experience simply not available in the online world.
No comments:
Post a Comment