Wednesday, January 21, 2015


Reading Profile

Currently researching books that I would have read in the 80’s, if the 80’s had the internet; and maybe discovering what I missed when in elementary & in high school...  Thanks Inter-Web…

I am largely a Non-Fiction type.  My average ratio is 4:1, NF to F.  I spend a great deal of time trying to develop the knowledge of hobbies with the How-To Genre; I like learning into a realized activity. With Genre Fiction Advisory, I am moving to dial back my hobby knowledge glacier.

I am trying to prevent asymmetrical ice ages.  I have enrolled in advisory to regain reading symmetry & a balance...
I miss living other people’s lives through their writing & publishing… Fiction should be half of a reading life. Fiction is, at heart, a true human writing; a symbolized & fictionalized version of a one-of-many life-inspired story.

About 1/3 of my fiction reads are books that are recommended by friends, colleagues or closer acquaintances; some of my best experiences with reading fiction had the element of sharing the experience with someone I knew – while reading the book, I also thought about my friend reading the book; sharing adds another layer to the reading that I find interesting. Moreover, these added layers are something that I actually try for when choosing a book. For example, if I am traveling to a new city, I might choose an author from that city or I will choose a theme that might inform or accentuate some of my activity while visiting. Today, I am trying to not over-think book selections by being super picky with what I, as a reader, ultimately will need with a story.

I am really open to all books or genres, if I really feel it is for me. I delight in the genre-bender, those special books that defy classification. I LOVE short-story collections, especially those by one author; I like literary realism, the quirky mundane observations & occasional adventures. I like medium dialogue & inner narration while the story events are unfolding. I like theater plays, with realism & with very honest dialogue; I like under-stated, realistic & narrative fiction. I will be reading modern fiction for the 5-book challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment